It was too daunting to find all my goal related posts to figure out if I was on target with anything. Another lesson learned. There are a lot of unfinished projects and there were some that I discovered weren't for me, but overall I completed a lot of hard things and I'm proud of myself. Towards the end of the year, I was feeling a lot like myself again and I could really start building the foundation for my future goals. I'm hoping to finish some of the projects below in 2024 and I'm looking forward to what the new year brings.
I want to thank all the wonderful people in my life who've stuck by me despite all the moodiness the challenging times brought me this year. I also want to encourage anyone who feels like they didn't do much or like much in 2023 to take an inventory like I have below. I went into it thinking I didn't get much done and I learned that the opposite was true. Sure, a number of things weren't completed in full, but there was so much to love about 2023 and it's easy to forget that at times because the negatives are often louder in my mind.
Crafting, Drawing, and Painting
- began learning Procreate
- made progress on my fairy cross-stitch
- made progress on Lez Scarf
- began a new quilt
Decluttering & Minimalism
- got rid of many unneeded things after I figured out what was most important to me
- realized that I don't have to get rid of everything I enjoy to have a reasonably comfortable home
- repurposed a number of items and pieces of furniture for future goals
Financial & Legal
- renewed my mortgage
- cleared debts
- got a new passport
- got help when I needed it
- completed my first seasons of curling and softball
- tried kung fu
- marched in Capital Pride
- went on a number of haunted walks, tours, and hikes
- started my second season of curling and saw improvement
Gaming & Streaming
- reached 132 followers this year
- marked my first anniversary as an Affiliate
- received my first Twitch payout
- did my first crafting stream
- played some tabletop and board games
- played a variety of games (Steam wrap up)
Happy Memories Jar 2023
I don't think I ever said anything about this, but late in the year, I decided to start a jar of happy memories. Here are the notes I put into it:
- Thrifting at Rebuilt was really fun.
- Getting my living room better set up, so I could craft, do music, and bring more variety to my Twitch stream.
- Hitting the button at curling.
- I got a hole in one!
- My softball team has been such a wonderfully positive and encouraging group of people.
- When I caught that ball on that rainy day in right field.
- Danielle Allard singing Invader. Especially at Live on Elgin.
- Accepting myself.
Music & Media
- had fun playing some ukulele, some keytar, and some melodica alone and with friends
- started over with piano
- saw many excellent films
- explored a lot of music in many genres
|Hayley Kiyoko in Montreal.
Reading & Relaxing
- read five books completely and parts of many others
- OK relaxing is really hard and I'm working on it ;)
- made some new friends and got to know several others better
- took chances
- stood up for myself and others when needed
- learned to say no when needed
- met many wonderful dogs
- changed roles and learned a lot
- executed my first Master Services Agreement and several contract amendments
- got to know some colleagues better
- learned how to better use my writing software
- began and quit a newsletter
- began to seriously get my first novel in shape for future publication
- made progress on two screenplays
- started a short story anthology
- started writing several songs
- attended Can-Con 2023
- attended the Ottawa Writers Festival discussion with Giller Prize Finalists