Skip to main content

Hems galore

Today in sewing class we did some basic techniques and machine hems.

First we stitched on paper:

image

My spiral went wonky, but the triangle was good. We also did a 5/8, a 3/8, and a 1/4 inch stitch.

The 1/4 inch stitch was easier on the paper than the fabric. My teacher adjusted the tension on my machine and rethreaded because I was putting my thread through a piece that is only needed for filling a bobbin, apparently. Things went better, but I had to start sewing further up the piece or it would catch the edges of my fabric in a funny way and try to eat the fabric instead of sew it.

We did French vertical seams on our "pant legs", which were a 3/8 seam followed by pressing it open then sewing a 1/4 seam. The end result is like a seam that has been encapsulated.

Inside of pant leg (It's the middle seam):

image

Raised view of French seam:image

Next we did a double jean hem, which is 5/8 and you try to sew it as close to the edge as possible. Outside of pant leg:

image

Inside of pant leg:image

Finally we did a blind double hem with a first fold of *I think 3/8* followed by a fold of 1 inch. They kind of suck on most machines and are better to be hand sewn, especially for dress clothes. Outside of pant leg:

image

Inside of pant leg:image

I learned a lot in only 2 hours. We also went over the hand wheel.

I forgot to ask her some questions that are advanced, which are on my mind. I guess I'll just email her on those things as I'm trying to make my bedroom curtains more sound absorbing and want to know if I can just buy the foam backing somewhere in town rather than buy new curtains.

Well, now I'm off to make cheese that is dairy-free and yeast-free as I plan to make a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, yeast-free lasagna with beef. I found an organic pasta sauce without citric acid, and apparently I can make the egg & cottage cheese like part with tofu. The cheese is made from almond milk, raw cashews, gelatin and pine nuts along with some spices. I hope it works out.

Ciao,
R~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lot of Bullspit - 2020 ROW80 R3-W5

This week has had a lot of bullspit in it. Shortly after my last trip to buy reno supplies, I discovered mold in my bathroom. While that's not shocking, it's pretty much because they appear to have left wet drywall in the wall and covered the wall with another layer of drywall instead of properly repairing it after a leak. Geniuses. This is a mixed bag. It means I may have to do the tub area sooner than I expected. It is the same wall as the annoying peeling paint, so that's kind of good. I may just need to replace much of the wall, which is about 1.5 drywall boards because it's a small room. Cost wise, the wall repair isn't so bad. I'm not looking forward to having to deal with it, but I acquired the PPE gear for it and the mold removal supplies. Now, here's where the project may change substantially. I was originally planning to install a tub surround over the tile and then use the Rust Oleum tub restore stuff, but if there is mold in the wall, it's li

November 18, 2020

My DRAWING course is done. I was happy to be learning it, but I am looking forward to not having graded assignments. After this, I will continue another course I started, which is entirely self-paced. I'll continue sharing my drawings on my Instagram: @thewritebuttons   On the HOME front, I have made a lot of progress on my couch project. Really, it will be a loveseat. I finished the sewing portion of the seat section, the wood base, and have nearly finished the wood back for it. I've added wheels to it instead of legs because I want to be able to move it for easy cleaning. Today, I am working on the sewing of the back piece. I acquired all the hardware I needed for attaching everything. I will have a wood skirt to do, which will help everything stay in place. I also have the sofa cover for it, though I will still have to figure out the arms. I'm taking a break on the sewing until thimbles come later this week because I'm tired of pricking my fingers.  As far as MUSIC

Slumps

Image by Ulrike Mai For quite awhile, I was stuck in nearly every area of my life. I couldn't even think up ways to get unstuck. And I was sleeping terribly, so perhaps there is a connection there. Recently, I became unstuck. I don't know how or why, but lately I see a problem and can think up a work around in seconds. I may not have the energy to execute it, but at least I am getting the ideas for when I do have the energy. Maybe it's because I started a gratitude journal or because I'm beginning to see the light at the end of my renovation tunnel. It could be the hope I've felt since the inauguration happened. Who knows, maybe it's coffee. Speaking of renovations, there has been some slight progress on the bathroom front. They took measurements and will hopefully have materials soon. I don't know when, but hopefully soon. I had a look at the floor I was originally going to get and it wasn't available anymore. The one that was just like it had a pattern