Skip to main content

Progress!

I have made great strides in the last while. Today alone has been full of progress. I realized a large issue was that I was writing from no point of view. It was difficult because the story is about a particular character, but currently he is a baby and unlikely to know or understand what is happening around him. So I decided to pass the puck and whoever has the puck gets the point of view.

It's National Novel Writing Month, so I hope to get as much written as possible.

In order for it to be considered a novel, it must have at least 50,000 words. I am at 9,242/50,000, so only about 18 percent complete to hit the minimum. I know I shouldn't focus on that, but it can be helpful to have a target.

I stumbled onto a blog post by author Justine Larbelestier about how to write a novel and well much of it I am going my own way for, the spreadsheet tip and discussion around balance between action and inaction, was very helpful. If not for this I probably would have continued not knowing what exactly was giving me issues.

http://justinelarbalestier.com/blog/2006/09/06/how-to-write-a-novel/

Since I am a project manager in my day job, my spreadsheet looks a little different, but it was a value-add for sure. Yes I could use something crazy like MS Project, but that's a little extreme when Excel does the trick and I already have the license...

I haven't read one of her novels, but I will try to squeeze it in ;)

Lots of excitement lately with buying a new car, assisting in teaching karate, and working. Still have to get that certification to keep the money coming in while I dream about and work on getting this novel out.

Ciao
R~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lot of Bullspit - 2020 ROW80 R3-W5

This week has had a lot of bullspit in it. Shortly after my last trip to buy reno supplies, I discovered mold in my bathroom. While that's not shocking, it's pretty much because they appear to have left wet drywall in the wall and covered the wall with another layer of drywall instead of properly repairing it after a leak. Geniuses. This is a mixed bag. It means I may have to do the tub area sooner than I expected. It is the same wall as the annoying peeling paint, so that's kind of good. I may just need to replace much of the wall, which is about 1.5 drywall boards because it's a small room. Cost wise, the wall repair isn't so bad. I'm not looking forward to having to deal with it, but I acquired the PPE gear for it and the mold removal supplies. Now, here's where the project may change substantially. I was originally planning to install a tub surround over the tile and then use the Rust Oleum tub restore stuff, but if there is mold in the wall, it's li

OIW - Book Cover Design Seminar

On May 22nd, I went to a seminar on book cover design. Before the information was presented on design, the author of Imposter Bride, Nancy Richler , read part of her first chapter and the story sounds intriguing. Lately, I am preferring to read the work of other Ottawa-area authors. Perhaps someday it will be my book that they read in turn. Currently, I am reading The Crimson Man by Patricia K McCarthy and though it is not in my genre, it is a fiery read. Ladies, you'll enjoy it. So far it feels heated like 50 Shades of Grey, but with more substance and a higher level of writing skill. At the beginning of the meeting, announcements were made about newly published works by members of the Ottawa Independent Writers group. The Autism Story is written as fiction by a university professor that specializes in the area. It sounds interesting as well. Nancy Richler answered questions about publishing after she completed her reading. Here is what I took from it: 1. Avoid small pr

November 18, 2020

My DRAWING course is done. I was happy to be learning it, but I am looking forward to not having graded assignments. After this, I will continue another course I started, which is entirely self-paced. I'll continue sharing my drawings on my Instagram: @thewritebuttons   On the HOME front, I have made a lot of progress on my couch project. Really, it will be a loveseat. I finished the sewing portion of the seat section, the wood base, and have nearly finished the wood back for it. I've added wheels to it instead of legs because I want to be able to move it for easy cleaning. Today, I am working on the sewing of the back piece. I acquired all the hardware I needed for attaching everything. I will have a wood skirt to do, which will help everything stay in place. I also have the sofa cover for it, though I will still have to figure out the arms. I'm taking a break on the sewing until thimbles come later this week because I'm tired of pricking my fingers.  As far as MUSIC